Am I covered to drive any vehicle?
You are covered to drive any vehicle owned by the policyholder or any in the policy holders custody and control for motor trade purposes.

Can I drive someone else’s car with their permission?
Only if the vehicle is in the custody and control of the policyholder for motor trade purposes, eg a crash repairer or bodyshop

What does a motor trade policy cover me for?
Social, Domestic and Pleasure use including commuting to and from a permanent place of work and motor trade business use including test drives, collection/delivery, taking to MOT, etc.

What is demonstration cover?
Cover for vehicles whilst being test driven by prospective purchasers. They must hold a full UK licence and be accompanied by a person named on the certificate of insurance.

What is Uninsured Loss Recovery service?
In the event of an accident that wasn’t your fault, you may be able to claim back from the Third Party all your uninsured losses. Examples of uninsured losses are: your policy excess, the cost of recovery of the vehicle, hire car, medical expenses, loss of earnings, re-advertising of vehicles etc.

Why does it cost more to add a driver?
The “risk” of having an accident goes up with the number of drivers on your policy. Private car insurance is different in the fact that only one person can drive the specified vehicle at any one given time.

Can my spouse take the children to school under this policy?
Yes, provided you had requested Social, Domestic and Pleasure use which allows any named driver on the certificate of insurance to drive a car for domestic purposes. This will include family outings, weekly shopping, visiting friends and commuting to and from a permanent place of work.

Does it matter whether I’m part-time or full-time?
Generally most policies provide cover for both full time and part time traders depending to their main occupation.

What is the difference between comprehensive and third party only?
Third Party Only covers claims by a third party in the event of liability. Comprehensive will cover the third party, fire, theft and damage to the vehicle in your custody or control.

Is cover included in connection with my other non-motor trade business?
Cover can be extended to provide cover in connection with some occupations e.g. builders, gardeners, electricians, plumbers etc.

Can I get cover for vehicles at my trade premises?
Check with you provider

What is the Motor Insurers’ Database?
The 4th EU Motor Insurance Directive came into effect on 20th January 2003. Each EU member country has to establish a centralised method of identifying who insures a vehicle from its registration number. In the UK, this data is being collected via the insurance industry onto the Motor Insurers’ Database (MID).

Do I need to notify my provider of any vehicles I get?
To comply with the law, you must notify them of any vehicle in your custody or control which are taxed and on the public highway for longer than 14 days. Should you have a vehicle for less than 14 days, you need not notify them.
Further Reading:

MotorTrade.org.uk Guide to Motor Trade Insurance

Glass.co.uk: Car Value, Car Prices, Car Price Guide, Car Valuation Guide

theAA.com: Breakdown cover, Route Planner

Parkers.co.uk: New & Used Cars, UK Car Dealers

askMID.com: The Motor Insurance Database

smmt.co.uk: The Society of Motor Manufacturers and Traders

© 2016 - MotorTrade UK | All Rights Reserved | Privacy & Terms